Reports to: Senior Technical Manager (Runs Making Great Stuff)
Direct Reports: None
Delivery of our Packaging strategy. Investigation and identification of new formats of innovative packaging to help drive growth in the Ella’s Kitchen European business and to manage packaging quality to ensure delivery of consistent high quality in finished products
Purpose of role:
When Ella’s Kitchen Smoothie Fruits were launched in 2006 they were seen as revolutionary for both the product and the packaging. This led to 8 years of spectacular and continuous growth even during a period of economic recession. We expect the Packaging Technologist to deliver the next revolution by:
- Lead our Packaging Dreams target delivery. Identifying and delivering innovative alternatives to our current packaging materials.
- Driving innovation as part of our new product development process, delivering new packaging materials or processing technologies and transferring existing innovative materials into alternative packaging formats.
- Driving improvements in product quality through developing better understanding of our processes and the impact of packaging on their performance eg: shelf life and sensory attribute.
- Owning (Development and maintenance) our packaging portfolio specification on our system
- Ensuring that all quality standards relating to packaging are maintained and updated.
Role activities / responsibilities:
- Lead packaging format development and drive ideation. Influence new product development to ensure we deliver on our packaging RAG targets.
- Ensure that the packaging used in all Ella’s Kitchen products is safe and complies with all relevant legislation. This will entail working closely with all packaging suppliers for both our UK and Europeans operations, working closely with the Head of Quality and your Technical colleagues.
- Deliver our overall packaging and finished product due diligence, by reviewing our current information and practices, implementing improvements, systematic reviews and helping to ensure full compliance on-going. This will involve assisting with the setting up of required systems and quality manuals, helping to maintain the central resource on current legislation, full packaging specifications, supplier certificates and licenses and helping our
- Quality Team to deliver complete control over our packaging and finished goods supply chains.
- Working with Friends, Shopping and Safely, assist in the development of new packaging materials and formats for our products. Work closely with the UK and international teams to deliver all packaging for our NPD.
- Create strong and collaborative relationships with co-manufacturer partners and supplier to deliver our projects portfolio. Ensure our packaging suppliers and co-manufacturers performance through setting and regular review of their KPI and audit program. As well as ownership of our packaging change control and non-conformance process
- Develop, implement and sustain effective packaging process in collaboration with our procurement team.
- Train and educate internal and external partners on Ella's product range and packaging attributes e.g. customer care, retailer.
- Own packaging technical reporting in relation to our retailer’s requirements and various partnership (WRAP UK plastic pact)
- Proactively support the development of Making Great Stuff team.
- Live the Ella's values and engage our suppliers and customers in the brand
You will need:
- A food or packaging-based degree (or equivalent)
- A passion and drive for food, health and quality ingredients and packaging
- Strong attention to detail and organisation skills
- Great track records in achieving sustainable packaging development
- A real passion for innovation and newness and willingness to throw yourself into a varied and busy role which will develop your career
- Confidence to challenge things that don’t feel right and ability to offer solutions and recommendations to make things better
- The ability to build strong relationships to get things done and resolve issues across the business and with suppliers and customers
- MS office skills e.g. Excel, PowerPoint, Word
- Ability to inspire others and take them on a journey with you
- Be willing to travel to visit both domestic and overseas suppliers
- Demonstrable ability to live and breathe our values: We Want to Win, We’re Business Minded, We’re Childlike, We Think Differently, We’re Good to Each Other
Nice to have:
- Experience of packaging innovation projects and delivering complex solutions across a wide manufacturing base
- Great technical understanding of packaging solutions and ideas within a circular economy
- Proven experience of working in technical operations within a food production / manufacturing environment, ideally with packaging experience.
- A strong knowledge of all health & safety standards and legal regulations relevant to food manufacturing, product development and/or packaging.
- A strong technical understanding in relation to NPD, packaging and manufacturing of food and the quality systems associated with these activities (eg BRC).
- Great presentation skills
And what you’ll get in return:
- Bucket loads of training and development, supporting your career pathway
- Competitive salary
- A Box of Treats, including private medical, dental, pension, life assurance, 25 days holiday and the ability to buy more, high street discounts, a yummy breakfast every morning, pamper days, Give It A Go days… to name but a few!
- A really awesome place to come to work every day… our beautiful Barns in the Oxfordshire countryside
Want to apply?
Please go to the Ella’s Kitchen ‘Jobs’ page here to complete our application form. You’ll be asked to upload your CV + a short note all about why Ella’s Kitchen, and this role, is the perfect next step for you. We will be reviewing applications as we receive them so we recommend submitting your application as soon as possible! Good luck!