What you need
1 small aubergine, peeled and cut into bite-sized chunks
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 small onion, finely chopped
1/2 red pepper, cored, deseeded and diced
2 garlic cloves, chopped
2 teaspoons dried oregano
400g/14 oz chopped tomatoes
2 sun-dried tomatoes in oil, drained and very finely chopped
100g/3 1/2 oz canned green lentils in water, drained
55g/2 oz mozzarella cheese, torn into small pieces
What to do
1) Preheat the oven to 190°C/375°/Gas Mark 5.
Steam the aubergine in a saucepan over a medium heat for 8 minutes, or until tender.
2) Meanwhile, heat the oil in a saucepan over a medium–low heat. Add the onion and red pepper, cover with a lid and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until softened. Add the garlic, cooked aubergine and oregano and cook for a further 2 minutes.
3) Add the chopped tomatoes, sun-dried tomatoes and lentils, part-cover with the lid and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes until the sauce has reduced and thickened.
4) Spoon the tomato sauce into a small ovenproof dish and scatter the mozzarella over. Bake in the oven for 15–18 minutes until the mozzarella has melted.
5) Using the back of a fork, mash the moussaka to a coarse purée, adding a little boiled water if necessary. Alternatively, finely chop.