Big + Strong Muffins
crammed with spinach, cheese + a little bit of mustard.
These muffins not only pack a big tasty punch they're also packed full of veggies! yum!
Recipe from our The First Foods Book
- 50 g/1¾ oz unsalted butter, melted, plus extra for greasing
- 150 g/5½ oz self-raising flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon English mustard powder
- 50 g/1¾ oz baby spinach leaves, stalks removed + leaves very finely chopped
- 100 g/3½ oz no-salt, no-sugar canned sweetcorn, drained
- 30 g/1 oz mature Cheddar cheese, finely grated
- 125 ml/4 fl oz whole milk
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/375°F/Gas Mark 5. Grease 16 holes of 1 or 2 mini-muffin tins.
- Sift the flour, baking powder + mustard powder into a large bowl. Stir in the spinach, sweetcorn + the cheese until fully combined, then make a well in the centre.
- Beat together the milk, egg + melted butter in a jug, then gradually pour into the dry ingredients + gently stir together with a wooden spoon until just combined.
- Divide the mixture evenly among the prepared muffin holes, then bake the muffins in the oven for 12–15 minutes until risen + golden. Cool on a wire rack. Serve warm or cold.
Swap This For That
You could swap the spinach for grated courgette. Just make sure you pat it dry before adding it to the mixture.
These muffins are great for lunchboxes + for on the go healthy snacks + picnics too.
loved this recipe? try these…
Sweetcorn Space Saucers Fritters
These baked pancakes look like flying saucers from another planet. Try making them with Cajun spice to keep little astronauts’ tummies warm on their space missions!
Crispy Veggie Fingers
Squidging the croquette mixture into shape is fantastic fun made for little hands!
shop with Ella’s
From veggie first tastes, to perfect puree blends, marvellous meals + finger foods, there's something for every stage of your little one's weaning journey!
ready for weaning?
We’re here to help you with your weaning journey. Find top baby weaning tips, videos + guides, covering everything you need to know for the first steps of your little one's weaning journey!