Wakey Wakey Eggy Shakshouka recipe
rise + shine, it's time for SHAHSHOUKA!
A scrummy eggy brunch or breakfast perfect for the whole family (12 months+) in a tomato-y + veggie sauce with chickpeas. Yum!
- 2x tins tomatoes
- 2x peppers
- 1 onion (approx. 200g)
- 2 garlic cloves- minced
- 3 x tsps smoked paprika or sweet paprika
- 2x tsps oregano
- 1x tsp cumin
- 1 tbs Olive oil
- 4-6 eggs
- Coriander for topping - optional
- 400g of chickpeas
- Dice onion and peppers into small cubes.
- Heat 1 tbs olive oil in a large frying pan or wok
- Fry the onions and peppers until soft with the garlic
- Add the smoked paprika, cumin and oregano. Cook for 1 minute.
- Add chickpeas- with their water and 2 tins of tomatoes.
- Cook for 15 minutes until the sauce starts to reduce and thicken.
- Make a little dip in the sauce for each egg you are cooking.
- Place each raw egg into a dip. (Its easier to do this one at a time)
- Cover the pan with a lid- cook eggs for approx 5 minutes- longer if you want the eggs less runny.
- Sprinkle some chopped coriander or parsley over the top before serving- optional
Fun for little ones
Little ones will love to dip toast fingers into their runny eggs!
Crack eggs individually into a little dish before putting them into the sauce. (so as not to get a shell in the shakshouka)
loved this recipe? try these…
shop with Ella’s
From veggie first tastes, to perfect puree blends, marvellous meals + finger foods, there's something for every stage of your little one's weaning journey!
ready for weaning?
We’re here to help you with your weaning journey. Find top baby weaning tips, videos + guides, covering everything you need to know for the first steps of your little one's weaning journey!
join Ella’s friends for your free weaning pack
Welcome to the Ella's Kitchen family! As one of our very special friends, you can look forward to a free weaning chart in the post and handy emails with lots of tips, offers, competitions + more!