Hearty Red Chicken Soup
a big bowl of colourful wonderfulness!
With crunchy sweetcorn, fill-me-up beans + a sprinkle of fajita spice, this extra-special chicken soup will satisfy your bellies, warm your toes + delight your taste buds.
Recipe from our The Easy Family Cookbook
- 1 x tablespoon olive oil, plus extra for brushing
- 1 x onion, finely chopped
- 1 x carrot, peeled + diced
- 2 x large garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 x red pepper, deseeded + chopped
- 400 g/14 oz passata
- 500 ml/17 fl oz reduced-salt chicken stock
- 210 g/7½ oz can kidney beans in water, drained
- ½–1 x teaspoon fajita spice mix (optional)
- 1 x teaspoon dried oregano
- 250 g/9 oz skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut into large bite-sized pieces
- 115 g/4 oz no-sugar, no-salt canned sweetcorn, drained, or kernels stripped from 1 cob
- 2 x soft corn tortillas
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over a medium–low heat. Add the onion, carrot, garlic + red pepper, cover with a lid +cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until softened.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4.Add the passata, stock, beans, fajita spice mix, if using, + oregano to the pan + bring the mixture up to the boil. Reduce the heat to low, part-cover with a lid + simmer for 10 minutes.
- Stir the chicken into the pan + cook for another 7 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through, then add the sweetcorn + heat until the corn is warm + tender.
- While the soup is cooking, make the tortilla chips. Brush both sides of each tortilla with olive oil, then cut into thin strips. Put the strips on a baking sheet + bake for 5–7 minutes, turning once, or until crisp. Transfer to a wire rack to cool. To serve, ladle the soup into bowls with the corn chips on the side.
Swap this for that
Fajita spice mix contains salt so replace with a mix of paprika, cumin + a teeny bit of chilli for little ones under 12 months
Yummy for babies
For babies from 10 months, blend the soup with a hand blender, adding a splash of water if it’s too thick. Slurrrp!
loved this recipe? try these…
Surprise! Surprise! Cauliflower Pizette
these gluten-free mini-pizzas are super-special because we’ve used cauliflower to make the bases. Surprise!
Ella's Mum's Easy Chicken Curry
A mild, sweet + creamy curry that’s guaranteed to get tiny taste buds tingling with all the spices of exotic adventure.
shop with Ella’s
From veggie first tastes, to perfect puree blends, marvellous meals + finger foods, there's something for every stage of your little one's weaning journey!
ready for weaning?
We’re here to help you with your weaning journey. Find top baby weaning tips, videos + guides, covering everything you need to know for the first steps of your little one's weaning journey!