Hey Pesto Pasta With Broccoli
Hey pesto! In the time your pasta takes to cook, you can make this fresh green pesto, packed with veggies + be ready to feed hungry tums
- 30 g/1 oz cashew nuts or nut of choice (optional)
- 300 g/10½ oz dried macaroni pasta
- 250 g/9 oz broccoli florets
- 3 large garlic cloves, peeled and left whole
- 25 g/1 oz basil leaves
- Juice of 1 small lemon
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 40 g/1½ oz parmesan cheese, finely grated
- freshly ground black pepper
- cooked red pepper, cut into 1 cm/½ inch wide sticks, to serve
- Cook the pasta in a saucepan of boiling water following the instructions on the packet until tender. Drain the pasta reserving a cupful of the cooking water and return the pasta to the pan
- If using the cashew nuts, first toast them in a large dry frying pan for 5 minutes, turning once, until they start to colour. Tip the nuts into a mini food processor and leave to cool. When cool, blitz them until very finely chopped, then transfer to a bowl
- At the same time, steam the broccoli and whole garlic cloves for 5 minutes until tender
- Put the broccoli and garlic in a mini food processor with the basil, lemon juice, olive oil and 4–6 tablespoons of the cooking water from the steamer and blend until smooth, adding more water if needed to make a pesto consistency
- Stir in the ground cashew nuts and parmesan until combined, adding a splash more oil or water if needed. Spoon as much of the pesto as you like over the pasta and add some of the pasta cooking water to loosen.
- Serve the pasta topped with extra grated parmesan and red pepper sticks on the side. Any leftover pesto will keep in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days
loved this recipe? try these…
Rainbow Prawn Stir fry
This Rainbow Prawn Stir fry makes a marvellous mini meal for hungry tummies or a lovely lunch or dinner option!
shop with Ella’s
From veggie first tastes, to perfect puree blends, marvellous meals + finger foods, there's something for every stage of your little one's weaning journey!
ready for weaning?
We’re here to help you with your weaning journey. Find top baby weaning tips, videos + guides, covering everything you need to know for the first steps of your little one's weaning journey!