Fabulous Fish Pie
Fabulous Fish Pie
Filled with under-the-sea goodness, this fabulous fish pie is perfect for the whole family!
Serves 4 Portions
Prep 20 min
Cook 90 min
- 400 g/14 oz boneless pollack, haddock or cod fillet, skinned + cut into chunks
- 100 g/3½ oz cooked peeled prawns
- 100 g/3½ oz frozen baby broad beans
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon cornflour
- A small handful of parsley, chopped
- 25 g/1 oz unsalted butter
- 20 g/¾ oz plain white flour
- 300 ml/½ pint whole milk
- 75 g/2½ oz Gruyère cheese, grated
- 600 g/1 lb 5 oz Maris Piper potatoes, peeled + cut into 1 cm/½ inch cubes
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4.
- Scatter the fish, prawns, broad beans + onion in a 1.5 litre/2½ pint shallow pie dish. Sprinkle with the cornflour + toss the ingredients together. Sprinkle with the parsley.
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan + stir in the flour. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute, then remove from the heat + gradually add the milk. Return to the heat + bring to the boil, stirring continuously, until the sauce thickens. (You might find a balloon whisk easier to beat the sauce + prevent it going lumpy.) Stir in two-thirds of the cheese.
- Spoon half the sauce into the dish + scatter with the potatoes. Spoon the remaining sauce over the potatoes + sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
- Bake the pie in the oven for about 1¼ hours until golden + the potatoes are tender. Serve hot with steamed green vegetables.
Swap This For That
Swap the broad beans for frozen peas or sweetcorn or even grated carrot for a veggie twist
Yummy For Babies
Blitz to a mashed texture for little ones from 7months+
You might like
I’m from The Big Baking Book
The Big Baking Book - the Yellow One is packed with over 100 healthier savoury + sweet baking recipes, all taste tested and given the thumbs up by kids.