Golden Treasure Muffins
little explorers love to discover new treasure!
inside these muffins they’ll find squishy golden nuggets of butternut squash. A sprinkling of thyme gives a tasty, herby twist.
Recipe from our The Big Baking Book
- 400 g/14 oz butternut squash, peeled, deseeded + cut into small chunks
- 4 unsmoked streaky bacon rashers, finely chopped
- 125 g/4½ oz self-raising white flour
- 50 g/1¾ oz cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped thyme
- 1 egg
- 75 ml/3 fl oz buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons mild olive oil or sunflower oil
- Preheat the oven to 220°C/425°F/Gas Mark 7. Line a 12-section muffin tin with paper cake cases that measure 9 cm/ 3¾ inches in diameter when flattened out.
- Cook the squash in a saucepan of boiling water for about 10 minutes until softened but not mushy. Drain well + return to the pan. Crush the squash until broken up but not puréed. Leave to cool.
- Heat a dry frying pan + fry the bacon for about 5 minutes until crispy. Transfer to a large bowl + add the flour, cornmeal, baking powder + thyme.
- Beat together the egg, buttermilk + oil in a separate small bowl. Add the egg mixture to the dry ingredients with the squash +mix together until only just combined.
- Divide the mixture evenly among the cake cases + bake in the oven for 15 minutes until slightly risen + pale golden. Transfer the muffins to a wire rack to cool + serve warm or cold. They are best eaten on the day you make them.
Fun for little ones
Squish Squash! Ask your little helper to squish the cooked butternut squash. If you let it cool down first, they can use their hands for messy foody fun!
Swap this for that!
Go veggie! If you prefer not to use bacon, substitute 50 g/2 oz of grated Cheddar cheese instead.
loved this recipe? try these…
Big + Strong Muffins
Crammed with spinach, cheese + a little bit of mustard, these muffins not only pack a big, tasty punch they're also packed full of veggies! yum!
Ruby Red Mini Muffins
These colourful, savoury muffins are perfect for little hands! The sweetness comes from beetroot + carrot, so there's no need for any naughty ingredients!
shop with Ella’s
From veggie first tastes, to perfect puree blends, marvellous meals + finger foods, there's something for every stage of your little one's weaning journey!
ready for weaning?
We’re here to help you with your weaning journey. Find top baby weaning tips, videos + guides, covering everything you need to know for the first steps of your little one's weaning journey!