Stacked + Packed Veggie Moussaka
a classic Greek recipe
Bursting with 5 different veggies as well as a super-pulse. Wow, that really is stacked + packed!
- 1 small aubergine, peeled + cut into bite-sized chunks
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- ½ red pepper, cored, deseeded + diced
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 400 g/14 oz can chopped tomatoes
- 2 sun-dried tomatoes in oil, drained + very finely chopped
- 100 g/3½ oz canned green lentils in water, drained
- 55 g/2 oz mozzarella cheese, torn into small pieces
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/375°/Gas Mark 5. Steam the aubergine in a saucepan over a medium heat for 8 minutes, or until tender.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a saucepan over a medium–low heat. Add the onion + red pepper, cover with a lid + cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until softened. Add the garlic, cooked aubergine + oregano + cook for a further 2 minutes.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, sun-dried tomatoes + lentils, part-cover with the lid + simmer, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes until the sauce has reduced + thickened.
- Spoon the tomato sauce into a small ovenproof dish + scatter the mozzarella over. Bake in the oven for 15–18 minutes until the mozzarella has melted.
- Using the back of a fork, mash the moussaka to a coarse purée, adding a little boiled water if necessary. Alternatively, finely chop."
Fun For Little Ones
Talk to your little one about the different shapes, sizes, colours + textures of the colourful veggies when they're whole so they can familiarise themselves with the wonderful world of veggies.
Yummy For Babies
Puree to a fine fork mashed texture for 7 months, blend till smooth from 6 months.
loved this recipe? try these…
shop with Ella’s
From veggie first tastes, to perfect puree blends, marvellous meals + finger foods, there's something for every stage of your little one's weaning journey!
ready for weaning?
We’re here to help you with your weaning journey. Find top baby weaning tips, videos + guides, covering everything you need to know for the first steps of your little one's weaning journey!
join Ella’s friends for your free weaning pack
Welcome to the Ella's Kitchen family! As one of our very special friends, you can look forward to a free weaning chart in the post and handy emails with lots of tips, offers, competitions + more!