Clever Veggie Tomato Sauce
this sauce is clever for two reasons:
First, we can think of lots of ways to use it – see opposite for five of them, second, it’s packed to the brim with veggie goodness.
Recipe from our The Cookbook
- 1 carrot, diced
- 200 g/7 oz butternut squash, diced
- 50 g/1¾ oz frozen peas, defrosted
- 415 g/14¾ oz can reduced-sugar + salt baked beans
- 400 g/14 oz can chopped tomatoes
- 200 g/7 oz tomatoes, chopped
- In a saucepan of boiling water, boil the carrot, squash + peas for 7–8 minutes until tender, then drain + return to the pan. Keeping the pan off the heat, add the baked beans+ purée the mixture with a hand blender until smooth.
- Return the pan to the heat. Add both the canned + fresh tomatoes + bring everything to the boil. Reduce the heat+ simmer for 4–5 minutes until the fresh tomatoes are soft + pulpy. Remove the pan from the heat + purée again until you have a beautifully smooth sauce.
Fun For Little Ones
Let your little one see the rainbow of veggie ingredients so they can tick them off on a colour chart of all the veg they've eaten this week!
I can be stirred through your favourite pasta shapes or I can be a superhealthy alternative to ketchup
loved this recipe? try these…
Cool-as-a-cucumber Gazpacho recipe
Who said soup had to be served hot? Give your little one a cooool option with this super quick + easy gazpacho recipe!
Lentils, Squash, Oranges + Tomatoes Puree
A scrummy combination of exciting tastes, perfect for introducing lentils to your babies diet.
shop with Ella’s
From veggie first tastes, to perfect puree blends, marvellous meals + finger foods, there's something for every stage of your little one's weaning journey!
ready for weaning?
We’re here to help you with your weaning journey. Find top baby weaning tips, videos + guides, covering everything you need to know for the first steps of your little one's weaning journey!